Monday 8 December 2014

Evaluation Question 1 - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

The main conventions of a music video have been defined by many of people, including theorists. People believe sticking to conventions will create a successful music video, but I do not think so, I believe it is the safe way to gain popularity, but if you want to stand out I think conventions some time have to be challenged. There is a difference between challenging & developing conventions and going against them completely. This misunderstanding can be the make or break of a video. Conventions are made up of main points of  music videos such as, making the video cut to the beat of the music with a physiological process called synaesthesia where you visualise an image in your 'minds eye' once hearing something. A process defined by Steve Archer. Also there is the convention of narrative and performance and what is seemed acceptable, the relation of the lyrics and the visuals, the star shown through the visuals known as 'star image'. All these conventions are defined by theorists like Steve Archer and Pete Fraser. 

Earlier on in my research I explored how conventions were used within my specific genre. Backed up by open questions in my audience research to see opinions on the conventions. The conventions in the 'Indie Rock' genre consisted of things like..
'The image of their band, including their individual style in comparison to other artists as that what creates popularity in the genre.' 
'A lot of videos are performance based as instrumental bands like to show off their musician skills and showmen ship as a band, so performance shots of them playing are significant to this genre.'
'If narrative, the storyline have more of a meaning a purpose as indie bands thrive of expression, therefore having deeper messages within their narrative videos'

These conventions are all heavily linked with my genre and are generally followed by producers in the music industry. 

When I compare these conventions to my product I identify points where I have used conventions, developed the conventions and definitely challenged the conventions. I will explore ways in which I have done this and evaluate the extent they worked..

Here is my evaluation of my music video in comparison to real life media conventions..

 

Here is the evaluation of my digipak and magazine advert in comparison to real life media forms and conventions..



No comments:

Post a Comment