Thursday 28 August 2014

Target Audience Research

In order to research the opinions of my target research I started out by carrying out a questionnaire, involving 20 people. I decided to concentrate on my preferred target audience which was young adults. I am also aware people just outside of my audience will watch my video, so I also included a few people outside my target audience. I questioned 10 young adults within the top year of college ranging from 17-18. I also questioned 5 people from year 11 which would range from 15-16 and then I questioned another 5 people (my sisters friends) that ranged from 21-23. By doing this, it gives me pretty specific figures in terms of the people that would watch my video and the ratio of ages.

Here are the results for my closed questions..


I learnt from this questionnaire that music videos are very popular, getting great attention from young adults. Very popular genre's were indie and urban, I started to see a pattern of the younger people preferring urban and the slightly older preferred the indie genre. The main question I concentrated on was the type of video people liked. A common trend was realism, cinematic and story based. These 3 options have a very strong link and can be used together to create a beautiful story. This was a very positive response as I am thinking of story a full narrative, with these popular answers I have learnt a cinematic story that is based on exciting realism will be very popular to the target audience. The narrative or performance question was pretty even, allowing me to have freedom of what I want as people seem to like both if done well. In my product I am going to heavily concentrate on directing actors and picking the actors carefully to avoid bad acting as this what can let a video down, along with the boring factor. This can be avoided with precise editing and proper planning, when making my product my focal point will be to please the audience, having this question in mind. Also I learnt a lot of people like the video to link with the song but not directly, so it is not boring. To achieve this my story will be themed closely to the song but with a storyline that is different and exciting, therefore keeping the viewers concentration.

In this next questionnaire I used open questions. I picked the people from the questionnaire that answered with the answers that suited my video ideas. This was so when I asked them more opinion based questions, their opinion would be coming from the particular audience that'd take deep interest in the video and therefore be the perfect audience.


 I learnt that what I thought about a narrative video was correct. People really agreed with me with what I thought they'd want to see and what they wouldn't. I had this in my head, and now I have researched it has put me in a positive mindset to carry on with my plan knowing the audience would agree to my idea, and really like it if constructed correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment