Thursday 18 September 2014

Album Artwork Analysis - 'The 1975 - The 1975'


This is all the art work linked in with the 1975's album 'The 1975'. I realise I have to produce a digipak for the ancillary texts, but I believe reviewing this artwork can really help me. Their Digipak is very plain, I thought these photo's are more interesting and more linked into what I would produce for my digipak.

Theme

All the artwork links in with the same theme. They're all black and white, all quite grainy and link in the the single name in a subtle way. The image has a subtle link for example the last 'The City' single artwork presents bright intense lights mixed in with subtle lights. As the lights are a blur, and as seen with no real concept, if you look into it it does link with the city lights at nighttime. I think this is the theme 1975 was trying to pull off throughout their artwork. For example the 'Sex' single artwork was just showing a quilt, which doesn't have a direct link to the title, but just a subtle link. This is what I was intrigued by as it was quite mysterious and left the viewers thinking.  

Detail to Colour

All of the artwork is in black and white. They're at a very high contrast bringing out the shadows and dimming the highlights. The result of this is the mysterious look, not revealing every detail due to the dark atmosphere. It sets quite a dark dimming mood on the artwork, but definitelyy looks a lot more creative and meaningful than a cheesy photograph of a band that is shot to sell. 

Composition and Framing

When I was reviewing the composition and framing I came to realisation that the most interesting artwork has an odd composition. Like all these artworks, for example the 'Settle Down' single, it has a random composition but it works. That originality draws attention to the subject as it wouldn't be considered as normal. When it comes to the framing, it is either really tight, therefore not revealing a lot, adding that mysterious impact. Or the framing of the subject is just off centre. Yet again this isn't going by the rules but it works. For example the 'Settle Down' or 'Robbers' artwork has an off centre framing. The band or models are slightly off centre, to a point where it looks like they're meant to be central. This purpose has really drawn me in to why they have done it, and the only conclusion I can think of is that it is more interesting than a typical band photograph.

Effects

The effects used on these photos are predominately blur and added noise. The blur is purposely put on to create an unclear effect. This corresponds with the mysterious theme throughout. The noise is added on most of the photo's to give it that old, antique, 'film' look. There bands style is quite 50's, 60's, like their music videos they like to keep it monochrome. I've learnt consistancy throughout all their art is important in keeping a look and image.  
 
Text

The text and their bands logo is also very consistant throughout. The logo is very basic, what I've found out if the logo and text is too complicated, it is an overdrive in your brain and doesn't come across as aestically pleasing. Simple text and logo designs works very well is sticking in viewers heads, because it is striking and easy to remember. Also including simplicity doesn't draw attention away from the artwork/photographs. Simple text with a nice themed photograph seems to work the best.

What I've Learnt ..

What I've learnt from this is to create a theme and stick to it. Consistancy throughout the artwork seems to work the best. I really liked the mysterious theme which was quite unclear, I think I might add this idea into my own digipak, as it draws attention and is more artistic and creative than a stereotypical digipak. As my music video will be a story and therefor creative, I want to keep consistancy throughout. Also I have learnt simple text doesn't draw attention from the artwork and strikes the viewer better than tonnes of information that they'll forget. Everything I have learnt I will carry out in my own digipak. 



No comments:

Post a Comment