Sunday 2 November 2014

Camera Lenses

I have learnt that to create a great cinematic video Camera Lenses have a big part to play. I have been thinking about the range of shots I need and what aspects I need to think about before shooting.


  • Focal Length 
  • Aperture 
  • How Wide the Vision is
  • Type Of Lens
I've decided for the adventuring, movement shots, and shots in the caravan I want a wide lens. The 'Tokina 11-19mm f/2.8' is a wide lens with a low aperture. This means that the sensor lets in a lot of light. This is really helpful because the more light let in, the lower 'ISO' you can go to on the camera settings. The higher the 'ISO' the more noise/grain is created, which makes the video look unprofessional with less quality. As the caravan shots could be at low light, this low aperture could keep the quality as high as possible. Also wide shots, cover a big range of area in front of the camera. As the caravan could be in quite atight space this lens would be perfect to capture to whole scene, including in all the props and the mise en scene. Also from research I have learnt that wide lens's work amazingly with the flycam nano whilst moving. Which will be perfect in my video.



Another lens I was interesting in is the 'Canon 50mm f/1.8'. This lens is a fixed focal length, but has a really low aperture, which lets a lot of light in keeping the ISO low. Also another massive benefit of this lens is that it is amazing for close ups. With the low aperture it creates a really deep depth of field, giving the shot a really cinematic feel. This will work really well in close ups, representing the characters emotion, developing feelings or actions taken that wouldn't be too evident with other lenses. Here is some test footage of the 50mm, and you can see how good it works.


         



Another lens I am going to use is a standard zoom lens. This will cover any flat shots I want, which is very versatile, with a big range of aperture and focal length. So if I don't like a shot the other two lenses produce I could always rely on this one as it has a range of options. It is the 'Canon 18-55mm'.





Working with these 3 lenses, they will cover all the shots I need. In the edit, cutting between 3 different lenses with have a massive positive impact visually. With differentiation and a range of shots, the camera work will go as planned.


No comments:

Post a Comment